Mike Toomey Texas Lobbyist
- Capitol Inside picked Mike as their number 1 “hired gun” in Texas Lobbying 2005, along with partner Bill Messer.
- Texas Monthly says that Michael is one of the 25 most influential Texans in politics for 2005.
- With his legendary knowledge of state government, Michael is known as a premier lobbyist for businesses in Texas, as noted by Patricia Kilday Hart. Texas Monthly – May 2003.
- Michael Toomey is the only person in Texas history to serve as chief of staff for two state governors. Bill Clements and Rick Perry.
- Mike was a state representative from 1983 to 1988 and was the chairman of the Judiciary committee.
- The Dallas Morning News and Texas Monthly both chose him as their legislator of choice for Texas in the 80s.
- Michael earned of Bachelor of Arts from Baylor University in 1972 and a degree in Law from South Texas College of Law in 1976.
- Chief of Staff for two Texas Governors:
- Rick Perry – Nov., 2002 – Sept. 2004
- William P. Clements, Jr. – 1989 – 1990
- District 135, Houston Texas State Representative for three terms from 1983 to 1988.
- Fort Worth Star Telegram best house freshman for the 68th session.
- Served on the Judiciary and Urban Affairs committee in the 68th session.
- Chairman of the Budget and Oversight committee for the 69th session.
- Judiciary Committee for the 69th session.
- Appropriations Committee for the 69th session.
- Conference Committee on Appropriations Bill for the 69th session.
- Chairman, Subcommittee on Dedicated State Funds for the 69th session.
- Named one of the Ten Best Legislators for the 69th session.
- Chairman, Judiciary Committee for the 70th session.
- Natural Resources Committee for the 70th session.
- House Sponsor of Tort Reform Legislation for the 70th session.
- Named one of the Seven Best Legislators for the 70th session.
- Deputy Chief of Staff for the Governor of Texas for the 71st session.
B.A. Degree in Philosophy – Baylor University (1972)
J.D. South Texas College of Law (1976)
Mike was an attorney in Houston from 1976 to 1988 in general practice with an emphasis on Business Law.
Civic Achievements and Awards:
- ODK Circle, Baylor U.
- Order of Lytae with honorary scholarship in Law school.
- Chairman of the Board for the West Houston Chamber of Commerce.
- Optimist Club President.
- Member of the Law Journal and Editorial Board Member.
- Tort Reformer of 1987 by the American Tort Reform Association.